A Love Story and the Lost Bracelet


With custom jewelry design one never really knows when work will come to the studio. Sometimes it’s by word of mouth, or thru our website or from past clients that bring us new design projects. Whichever they may be, I am grateful for the design challenges that come our way. This particular custom job came from CustomMade, an online work shop that recruited me to  join as a jewelry artist and maker.

It’s a great company both for the artist and for the customer that wants something custom made. The essence of the project was a husband wanted to re-create a lost treasure for his wife. (That was sweet.) The bracelet fell off her arm while sailing around the Cayman Islands. All I had to re-create a design that would match a bracelet that was lost, all from a blurry picture of his wife wearing the bracelet.

63fe27149a2d2b4__dsc1107

The rest is history. Re-creative jewelry is one of my specialties.

Without drawings the project would never work. Communication is the most important element for me in designing a project.
Without submitting drawings this project would never had worked. At the time of my commission the client did not have the single link. He found it and sent it to me. It made my work a bit easier. Communication is the most important element for me in designing a project.
Once the design was established I then carved the wax to match the drawing
Once the design was established I then carved the wax to match the bracelet links.
the wax should be carved just a tad larger then the original to allow for finishing, casting shrinkage.
The wax had to be carved just a tad larger than the original to allow for finishing, casting and shrinkage.
Weighing the wax
Weighing the wax, to insure that it is a close as it can be to the original.
Once it was cast, then I soldered three of the links together to form one bracelet link.
Once the wax is cast in Sterling silver, I then solder the three links together to form one bracelet link.
The new link is on the left and the old link is on the right.
The new link is on the left and the old link is on the right. The next step was to fabricate the silver links by hand cutting the small links from a sheet of silver and assemble the project. Final polish completed the new design for his wife.
The final bracelet. I really enjoyed this project for varies of reasons. But the best part of the entire project was working with my client. It makes custom work enjoyable when the client is into the project as much as your are.
The final bracelet. I really enjoyed this project for many reasons. But the best part of the entire project was working with my client. It makes custom work enjoyable when the client is into the project as much as the designer.

KLH

4 thoughts on “A Love Story and the Lost Bracelet

Add yours

    1. I heard from my client, that his wife thought he had hired a diver to look for the bracelet. It made smile when I heard that story. My us bad and I dive for fun….That’s why I make the things I do. It’s not just jewelry, most the time it’s happy endings or new beginnings. Either way a good story to share.

  1. Hi Kathleen. Love your work it’s stunning. Bit of a question from left field. I’m a dental technician in Australia and i have the same tanita scales you have pictured here. Don’t know if you know much about 3D printing but i’m desperate for a 3D file for the battery cover of these scales. My cover broke and this would save me buying a new model as i’m sure you’re aware they are not cheap. Anyhow keep up the great work and my fingers are crossed you may be able to help. Regards Adrian

    1. Thank you for your question. Glad you found my work stunning, it is always nice to hear a compliment. I am afraid I do not work with any 3-d printers, so I do not believe I can help you with printing. You best bet might be to contact the manufacture directly for a new battery cover. Perhaps they will have one. Good luck! Kathleen

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: